Courageous Hope – Sermon Outline
March 20, 2020 | LeRachel Buffkins
Scripture Text – Jeremiah 29:1-23
The 2020 Question: Where would we be at the end of 2020 if we fixed our eyes first and foremost on Jesus – every hour, every day – in a way that allowed Him to capture our hearts more than any competing vision?
Today’s Focus: Growing a Courageous Hope – We were Made for Brave!
Three things to remember:
- Trials tend to overstay their welcome (vv. 1-10)
- The Lord always overdelivers on His promises (v. 11)
- This is a time to seek the Lord with all your heart (vv. 12-15)
Three things to do (like Daniel!):
- Listen for the Lord’s voice
- Lock on to the Lord’s promises
- Look for unique opportunities
For Further Action and Reflection:
- Memorize Jeremiah 29:11
- Read 1 Corinthians 15:50-58, 1 Peter 1:3-9
- Listen to “Overcome” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzPftfYip94
- Listen to “You Make Me Brave” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UglO7SGUWk
- Watch the Nick Magnotti video – http://teammagnotti.org/our-story/
- Read “Made for Brave” and check out www.alyssagalios.com
- Watch this video on Jeremiah 29:11 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoIizLIhTtU
- Watch this video on the Exile– great for kids – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSua9_WhQFE
Questions for Reflection:
- What stood out to you most from the message?
- How is everyone doing? What is one trial you are experiencing right now? Do you agree that “Trials tend to overstay their welcome”?
- What are some fears or concerns you have in the midst of your trials?
- We are hearing many voices speak to the issues in our world in this season. What are some things that we know the Lord is saying in this season? (And how do you know from the Scriptures God is saying these things?!)
- How does understanding the context of Jeremiah 29 help you in applying verse 11 of that chapter?
- What is one specific way you can apply Jeremiah 29:11 to your heart and/or life today? In other words, what difference will it make in your life today if you live like this verse was totally true?
- Read 1 Corinthians 15:50-58. According to verse 58, how does the hope of the resurrection make us brave? What would it look like to apply verse 58 to our lives this week? Be specific.
- Take a couple minutes and listen to someone read Daniel’s prayer from Daniel 9:4-19. What can we learn from how Daniel sought the Lord according to God’s promise?
- Take some time and pray for the Lord to make us brave according to the hope we have in His promises! Pray specifically for those in need of Jesus, for our government leaders, for our church leaders, for our missionaries, and for the vulnerable people in our families and church family.
A GAME FOR KIDS!
Set up a simple obstacle course in a room of the house. Blindfold a child. Have one adult play the role of the “voice of God.” Without touching the child, the adult should try to lead the child through the obstacles in the room successfully. However, others can be invited to speak and distract the child from the “voice of God.” The goal is to teach kids to discern and obey the voice of God in the midst of many other false messages in the world.